Kite Nova Scotia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite.

2 posters

Go down

Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite. Empty Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite.

Post  gavin feargrieve Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 am

Just to let everyone know, plans are being made to hold an event that has been talked about for the last few years- crossing the Northumberland strait on a kiteboard. Very Happy So, departing some point in New Bruinswick (perhaps Shediac) and sailing to another point in PEI (perhaps Summerside). It is tentatively planned for sometime between July 25- Aug. 3- of course, it is dependant upon a good wind forecast so it's too early to name a specific date. We will be teaming up with the kiters from New Bruinswick and probably some from PEI too. There will be boat support during the crossing should there be any problems.

We are going to try to get lots of pictures and video which is going toward Mark Moore's Kiteboarding/ Travel documentary and promoting the sport in general.

I will post more datails regarding this event over the next few weeks.

Cheers
gavin feargrieve
gavin feargrieve

Back to top Go down

Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite. Empty Re: Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite.

Post  gavin feargrieve Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:45 am

A tentative date for the Northumberland Strait crossing is set for this Wednesday. Back-up date is Thursday.

The dates have been moved up due to the good wind forecast. There's a system moving in that is expected to blow SW 20-30kts for two days. The biggest concern for doing the crossing was ...... not having enough wind!
gavin feargrieve
gavin feargrieve

Back to top Go down

Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite. Empty PEI Crossing

Post  gary boates Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 am

Can we expect a full report of the PEI crossing to be posted soon?
gary boates
gary boates

Back to top Go down

Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite. Empty We did it!

Post  gavin feargrieve Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:26 am

Well folks, the Northumberland Strait crossing was a tremendous success! A crew of 5 kiters, 2 photographers, and 1 lobster boat left the St.Anne Wharf near Rechibucto, NB in steady off shore SW winds and almost 3 hours later landed in West Point, PEI. It wasn't a race, so we had a big freestyle session without ever needing to worry about staying upwind- what a treat! It was approximately a 20km downwinder. As expected out in the N. Strait the water was pretty choppy, but nobody on this maiden voyage seemed to mind. Myself, I must have throw at least 100 jumps during the crossing- it's a great way to get downwind Twisted Evil Although, I may have stretched myself an inch or two?! In PEI, we enjoyed the hospitality of a couple from New Hampshire that offered some refreshment- two rounds! Then with a little liquid courage, Mark and I went out and took turns jumping 20ft. of beach landing in a waist deep tidal pool. It was sick. Mark was wearing a camera and got some great aerial shots doing the jumps. Then to the boat for the ride back to N.B.

The event got some good press with Live At 5 running the story two days in a row. You can find it by googling "Live at 5 atlantic facebook"- just scroll thru their video collection.

There seems to be enough interest to make this an annual event. The discussion topic "Northumberland Crossing" on the chat forum www.MyKiteBeach.ca has registered @1,150 views. So, more planning, more riders, more boats and we can make this an annual event! Who's interested?
gavin feargrieve
gavin feargrieve

Back to top Go down

Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite. Empty Re: Northumberland Strait Crossing- by kite.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down