Kite Nova Scotia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for kite advice

5 posters

Go down

Looking for kite advice Empty Looking for kite advice

Post  Lucien762 Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 am

Hey everyone,
I purchased a Hydra 350 trainer kite a little while ago and I think I'm really going to want to get into the sport of kiteboarding, hopefully at some point during the summer.
Now, I've been reading and reading and reading about kitesurfing, kite reviews, and basically everything else I can do without having a full size/depower kite in front of me.
I also plan on going out for a few lessons when I get the time.
That being said, If all goes well, I would like to pick myself up a kite, but the sport is obviously expensive, leading me to search and search for deals.
Although I have read and heard over and over not to buy used over the internet, I have found some "New In Box" 2010 stock:
2010 Cabrinha Crossbow 10M Kite-$899
2010 Slingshot Octane 13M Kite-$799
2010 Slingshot Octane 13M Kite-$899

These 3 kites come with Kite/Bar/Lines/Pump/Leash

I guess my question is not so much if I should buy online, as it is, what kite would you recommend for a beginner in Nova Scotia. I live In Halifax for school, and Yarmouth during my time off. The manufacturer charts are great to demonstrate wind ranges, but I would appreciate some input from local kiters.

Any advice would be great,
Thanks alot!
Lucien

Lucien762

Back to top Go down

Looking for kite advice Empty Re: Looking for kite advice

Post  coickle Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:31 am

How much do you weigh Lucien? Our wind in the summer is typically lite so I suggest a larger kite (>12m) but the actual size will be dependant on your size/weight. For a beginner I highly suggest going with a Bow/SLE as opposed to a C-kite. I think the ones that you suggested are, so no worries there. I typically buy last year models as well in order to save money. I suggest checking out the local shop (Atlantic Winds Adventure - http://www.atlanticwindsadventure.com/) to see if they have any deals on or there is a shop in Ontario that usually has good closeout deals (Silent Sports - http://www.silentsports.com/store/). It's best to buy within Canada so you avoid getting nailed with duty and brokerage fees trying to get it shipped across the boarder.

I hope that helps a little in your search. Keep posting and one of us should be able to answer your questions. Also there is plenty of info on our group's website (http://www.kaons.ca/) that may be helpful to you.

Chris
coickle
coickle
Admin

https://kans.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucien762 Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks for the reply
I weigh roughly 180 lbs. Silent sports (Thornhill) is selling the Slingshot Octane 13m for $899.
The Ebay seller is in Thornhill Ontario as well, the deal would be $780 + $40 shipping. It seems counter productive, but it seems like somebody from Silent Sports could be setting up Ebay sales as well?
Either way, do you think the 2010 Slingshot Octane 13m would be a good purchase for our conditions+my weight?
Also, I am thinking of building my first board, probably designed after the 159X45 Spleene Door High Tech, but that is just an idea for a project to keep me busy during down time and get something useful out of my time haha.
Thanks
Lucien

Lucien762

Back to top Go down

Post  gavin feargrieve Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 pm

http://www.sbckiteboard.com/kitesurfing_kites_display?news_id=1309

Hi Luc,

You can find a review of both kites in the link provided. SBC Magazine (and others) have a tendency to give positive reviews without out ever really dishing the dirt. But, I have used both kites and can say from experience they are both quite good. And at the prices mentioned you are getting a good deal- basically around wholesale. My suggestion is to go with the Octane because you will likely get more use out of a 13m kite in N.S.

As far as making your own board to save $, it's not worth it. You will still need to buy fins, foot pads, probably a handle. And, a used board is probably going to be cheaper and work better than your first home made board. If you are shopping around for a used board don't get anything smaller than approx. 135cm. For a cheap big/ lightwind board get a 6'3" (6'4") regular surfboard from Kannon Beach for $250/ $300 bucks. Can't beat it and they're fun to ride.

Btw, I am the local kiteboard instructor so let me know if you ever want to hook up for lessons.

Cheers

gavin feargrieve
gavin feargrieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucien762 Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Sorry to keep beating this to death, but I've just crunched some numbers, and the Slingshot Octane 2010 comes out to a grand total of $999 with tax/shipping/duty (even though within Canada scratch ). Anyway, is this still a reasonable deal? I haven't found anything else to compete with this price. I think I would then pick up a Spleene door and a harness from AWA.
Sorry I'm such a noob, I just dont wanna get gouged and not even realize it. I really want to get into this sport, and I figure having the gear is a damn good start, and will also force me to make use of it, and take the sport seriously.
That being said, although its a lot of money, I'm just looking at it as an investment, since the gear will likely last me several years.
Either way, Thanks a lot for the advice.
Lucien

Lucien762

Back to top Go down

Looking for kite advice Empty New

Post  jack Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Welcome Lucien ,
Fun to fly the small kites to get the feel isn't it .
As far as the Slingshot kites , check out NWKITE.com they have the manufacturer in the neighbourhood . You can get good info there .
Making a board is a good idea . I made a skim board and it was easy and it works for me . Strapless and finless are fun and your kite skills improve lots too . Please do not take this as a shot to any shapers ( that it was easy ). I just looked at pics and followed along . Did the best I could and its a basic skim with rocker.
I have a 159 door and you will like it if you get it close to the same ! Light wind machine . I would add a little concave like a Ocean rodeo mako , I have one of them too and it's great for smoothing out the chop so combining the two might be the answer for the Atlantic !
Again , take lessons . check any kite site and the advice is the same . You already know this , I'm sorry .
When you do take the lessons you will get the feel of the kite your using and will then know if you like it , until that point you would have had no idea . You will know what you want after using a few different kites . Most kite schools use sle's . There are foils too to consider !
Patience sucks but can save you bucks man .
I got a good deal on a kite from your local Halifax store too so deals can be found everywhere .
Have fun and always kite with a friend even if you have to make new ones pirat

jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike J. Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 am

Hey Lucien , welcome to the site

I hear what you are saying on price, I had to go the e-bay way being a broke student when I got into this sport,

Check out this site, a bunch of locals over in the T.O. area, I bought a 10m OR Rize last year for 400, bar, lines, kite, real nice shape.

http://www.thechickenloop.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&Itemid=104

I'd say the main thing is not to buy too old of a kite, safety has gone up big time in the past years, anything 2008+ is good to go.

For how cheap you can pick up a used board, I wouldn't bother making one if one of the main reasons is cost. If you just want to have something to work on when there is no wind, go for it

Hope this helps,

Mike J.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucien762 Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the 2010 Slingshot Octane 13m. Hopefully it cant make it here in decent time so I can see what I've gotten myself into haha. Guess I'll start work on a board while I'm waiting for it to get here. I've got some fins, handle, pads and straps on the way as well, all for just under 100$,seemed like a good deal from what I've seen and at least it will keep me busy lol.
Just wanted to thanks you all for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Lucien

Lucien762

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down